This in-depth report provides an analysis of the major technological advances that will drive the semiconductor industry in the coming years. In addition, the study comprises a benchmark analysis of key financial ratios in the semiconductor industry as well as sales projections for the coming years.
- Current market conditions and outlooks are mixed for the next few years, largely because of the fragile global economic outlook.
- The automotive and industrial markets for semiconductors offer significant growth potential.
- The automotive market will be driven by the number of vehicles produced in Brazil, Russia, India and China, and by an increase in the average semiconductor content per vehicle.
- The industrial sector is growing because of increasing energy demands, a continuing trend toward renewable energies and the expansion of high-speed rail transportation.
- The data processing application market is driven by accelerating tablet sales, and the communications market by the still-strong unit sales of smartphones. Consumer electronics also benefit from a growth in units sold, particularly in digital set-top boxes.
- China will cement its dominant position and increase its market share of global semiconductor sales to half of the worldwide market by 2015.
- To meet global demands, global production capacity for semiconductors will increase.
- Overall production capacity is sustaining progress toward smaller feature sizes and larger wafer diameters.
- Operating profitability is back on the positive side of the ledger, except in the memory and back-end processes subsectors, which face strong competition and cycles of overcapacity.
- Working capital is back to normal levels.